Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just Wired That Way...

Tonight I was sitting here in my living room watching tv and I felt something missing. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something there, in the pit of my stomach. I had felt this before, and it normally happens when I spend time with people...and then don't spend time with people. However, this normally comes out of some period where I am at summer camp, or go to Disney World to see my bff (no...not Mickey), or take a weekend away with our youth group, but today there was nothing special.


It's then that I asked myself, was today special? By normally means not really, no different from any other day when xbox, or surfing the internet, or even LOST can't quite fit the bill for what I am craving. But, what am I craving?


It's the hunger for relationship! It's those times when you can sit down with someone and they just GET you. Not in the "relationship" kind of way, but in the we really get what each other is about way. You see, just like Adam needed Eve (again...not going down the relational road), just like Jesus needed his disciples, just like Paul needed someone to travel with, and exactly like everyone on LOST needed everyone else...we are called to be in community!


I love community (not the tv show...never watched it), and I bet you do too. You might not know that you love it...but some night while you're watching tv and you feel like nothing can keep you from being bored, that's when you realize....

1 comment:

  1. I like this. I'm lucky to have some great relationships. I love my relationship with my wife, with God even my dog (we ARE hunting buddies). But I'm rarely content with any good relationship I have. So the relationships that aren't good weigh on my heart even more. Its always a balance of keeping my good relationships growing and trying to put time into the weak relationships to make them better.

    The other side of this is when you have this feeling you describe for people that you just cant seem to get a hold of. The last 5 years have been full of relationships where "we get each other" and they move, or life "gets in the way".

    I think this drive for relationships and community is a good thing. Christ lived a life of constantly building current relationships, building new relationships and searching for new relationships.

    ReplyDelete